Search Recipes in This Blog

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Millhouse Steakhouse, Brunswick, Georgia

Brunswick, Georgia - This vegan foodie has been absent as of late, as I'm being relocated to the South.

I've been on the road the for the last week and am nearing my final destination in Savannah, Georgia.
So tonight, I've stopped in Brunswick, Georgia, an old historic town right along the Atlantic.

After eating a granola bar, soy latte, and sea salted almonds today, I was ready for a decent meal tonight.

I opted for the restaurant attached to the Holiday Inn I was staying at, the multiple award-winning Millhouse Steakhouse. After a long day on the road, the menu looked interesting enough to try.  And I left very full and satisfied.

Upon arriving I was automatically greeted with a baguette and garlic olive oil, plain olive oil, and Italian seasoning and olive oil.  This was a delightful array of appetizer options for the vegan.  The garlic and olive oil was by far my favorite with a great blend of garlic and sea salt -- a definite favorite.

There were a few vegan options for dinner, probably something I will have to get used to in the south. Zero vegan tapas or appetizer options but there were several vegetarian ones like Southwestern Queso Dip - southwest spices and cheddar cheese served with warm tortilla chips; Fried Mozzarella Marinara: fresh  whole milk mozzarella fried crispy, topped with warm marinara, served over house greens and tomato vinaigrette; Jumbo Stuffed Mushrooms: flash fried mushrooms, seasoned cream cheese and brandy, tossed in parmesan reggiano.

Dinner options for the lone vegan included Traditional Stir Fry, Fresh Lo Mein, Vegetable Lo Mein, and a "modified" Primavera.  I chose the modified Primavera.

Normally, it would include: Fresh asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, snow peas, bell peppers, onions and scallions.  Sauteed with fresh herbs, lemons, butter, garlic, and white wine over parmesan linguine pasta.

I asked for the dish made sans butter, cream, cheese and suggested it just contain the pasta, veggies, and olive oil.

What I got was pretty good.  Asparagus, red bell peppers, broccoli, onions, snow peas, Italian seasoning and pasta.  It was lacking in the white wine and olive oil additions but I added a little olive oil from my bread dipping plate and a little salt and this was a fantastic meal.

This restaurant has a very sizable menu, unlike a lot of the other restaurants serving primarily seafood that I've been to in thesouth.  The Millhouse in Brunswick, or any of its other three locations in Georgian and Florida, are good options for the vegan and the avid meat eater to try out.  

I'm especially thankful to my waitress Mellisa for being so accommodating! 

This one is worth a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment