Search Recipes in This Blog

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Welcome to Iowa, Whole Foods!


The first Whole Foods store in Iowa opened today (18 July, 2010) in West Des Moines. From everything I heard and read it was a huge success and insanely busy all day long.

I went to a Whole Foods for the first time when I was visiting my aunt & uncle in Boulder (I was probably high-school aged).  I was a relatively new vegan then was enthralled by all the vegan food options Whole Foods provided -- not just in the aisles but also in the deli and bakery.  I am certain I packed on a few pounds that trip.

When I got back to Iowa I remember I sat down at my computer, looked up Whole Foods' corporate headquarters and wrote them a letter.  Whole Foods needed to come to Iowa. I recall talking up all the great things about the state - fields full of soybeans from which all kinds of vegan and vegetarian products are made.

Today after work, I drove over to the new store to check it out. Weary of crowd of people just trying to get in the door, I cautiously ventured in.

I went straight to the deli and bakery to make sure it was like all other Whole Foods Stores.  The deli and salad bar may have been a few selections smaller than other whole foods. No smoothie bar.  And I was a bit disappointed in the bakery, but granted, it was the end of the day.

There were not the usual amount of vegan bakery items.  There was a vegan blueberry muffin, which I bought for $2.39 and was concluded it was delicious upon consumption.

I picked several prepared vegan salads from the salad bar, 0.96 pounds worth to be exact, at $7.99/pound for anything you put in the recycled card board containers. The food is very fresh and it is all kept very clean. It is also infinitely healthy with the variety of fruits, veggies, and grains they use.

I was mostly comparing prices because the local Hy-Vee food stores here do as good a job as any stocking vegan and vegetarian products. Veganaise mayo was $4.99 - about a dollar more at HyVee; Tofutti Better than Sour Cream was $2.69 is about what it is at HyVee; one liter of Whole Foods brand olive oil for $5.49!

So we welcome Whole Foods to Iowa, 10 years after I wrote them that letter making the case for a store here.  I'm under no illusions anyone ever even read my letter. I firmly believe, however, they will quickly see that Iowa was a great choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment