Search Recipes in This Blog

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Kayak Kafe, Savannah, GA

Last weekend, my meat eater and I were strolling through downtown Savannah, GA when I suggested we try Kayak Kafe on East Broughton Street for lunch.  This turned out to be an excellent choice and one of my most favorite meals we ate the whole (four day) weekend in Savannah!

Kayak Kafe is locally owned and has had rave reviews on the local scene for fresh, eclectic, delicious food.  The restaurant also says that they can make almost any of their dishes vegan, vegetarian, or gluten-free.

The weather was pleasant and sunny so Jeff and I ate outside on the patio, which weather providing, is always my favorite place to sit.

I ordered from the daily specials menu the Black Bean Tacos with a side salad and hummus.  This dish was amazingly fresh and light with an excellent blend of flavors.  The tacos contained black beans, grilled mushrooms, onions, tomatoes, spinach, shredded cabbage topped with guacamole.  The presentation was colorful and appetizing - which often seems to be  difficult with vegetarian and vegan dishes.
Black Bean Tacos

The combination of veggies, grilled mushrooms, beans, spinach, shredded cabbage and guacamole provided a variety of textures to keep your mouth interested.  The hearty combinations of grilled mushrooms, beans, and spinach which did not make you miss the meat and was quite filling. 

The taco "meat" is served on your choice of a flour or corn tortilla.  I chose the corn; they too were light and tasted like they were made that morning. An excellent vehicle for the veggie filling.  The guacamole too was fresh with hints of lime.  It was not at all hot or spicy to over power the filling.

The side salad had a cilantro-lime vinaigrette which was light, fresh, and had a great flavor for the perfect compliment to the tacos.



These may be the best vegan tacos I've ever had and I ate as much as I could, but two tacos was it.  Jeff happily ate the third and agreed with my culinary assessments.  My mustachioed meat eater was not without. He thoroughly enjoyed the Wild GA Shrimp & Avocado Quesadillas.


I will most definitely be back to the Kayak Kafe to try their numerous other vegan entrees like Seared Tiger Tofu Tacos, the Vegetarian Salad with Homemade Hummus and Tebbouleh, Kalamata Olives, Roma Tomatoes & Cucumbers on Organic Greens, with your choice of tofu or feta; the Tofu & Vegetable Quesadilla, or the Roasted Vegetable Balsamico Panini -- to name a few.

If you're in Savannah, you must try the Kayak Kafe for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment